We know of a Sudan family with six children who immigrated to Portland with the assistance of Catholic Charities' Refugee Services. The family has little money and live in subsidized housing. Every Sunday, the entire family attends Mass at the Cathedral. The kids are all dressed up. When the collection plate is passed, Mom and Dad reach deep into their pockets to help their church. Little do they know that their donation is helping to pay for the mansion's upkeep or to fill the bishop's oil tank.
_____________________________________________________We want Bishop Malone to answer two questions:
- "What does Jesus (really) expect of us?"
- "How does every decision you make affect, enable or involve the poor?"
- 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
- When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?
- When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?'
- And he will say to them in reply,
- Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'